Working at Thinking Machines
Thinking Machines is a data science startup. Our vision is for the Philippines to become a global hub for data science. To do that, we create data science cultures, one organization at a time.
We’re a company made up of intellectually curious, civic-minded, forever-learning individuals. We believe that great data science products are built with care for people, and that the best way to drive inclusive innovation is to start with a diverse team.
Our field of work is incredibly dynamic, so we want to work with people who are committed to growing with us. We want to hire people who can demonstrate an ability to learn, then provide them with personalized coaching, growth opportunities, and a great working environment to get them to world-class.
This entry-level position is a great opportunity for newcomers to the data science industry looking to learn by doing in the company of a high-performance team.
This job is a great fit for fresh graduates, career shifters, and people with 1-2 years of professional experience looking to understand and commit to an area of specialization. We welcome people from a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Your college major (or whether you went at all) matters much less than code projects you’ve built recently.
This job demands learning agility, creativity, critical thinking, and a focus on delivering excellent work. You’ll be expected to absorb guidance quickly, and translate it into quality output day-to-day. Expect to be assigned tasks across different teams - machine learning, data engineering, and data visualization - wherever the project demands your attention. Throughout this process, we will work with you to find where you fit best based on your skill set, preferences, and demonstrated performance on various data science challenges.
We’re a growing startup with constantly shifting responsibilities, and even more so for this role. If you do a great job, you should be tracked into a specialist role within 12 months.
We’re looking for someone who has the following:
- Learning agility — We do not expect you to know everything, but we need you to quickly assimilate knowledge to deliver as you are thrown into unfamiliar tasks. Demonstrate this by showing us your capacity to learn independently and problem-solve. Show us something cool you’ve built, online coursework you’ve taken, an academic paper you’ve written.
- Quantitative critical thinking and curiosity — You ask a lot of the right questions. Find a surprising correlation? Dig into the raw data to validate it. Fascinated by the automated ETL pipeline? Pick it apart and learn how it works!
- Comfort with code — You can use your local machine to scrape, load, and parse through datasets. You’ve run analytical code before.
- Clear communication — We help clients get the most out of their data, so we diagnose their needs effectively, do the analysis correctly, and communicate our findings in a way that leads to understanding and action. At minimum, you need to have the ability to articulate your points logically, and have to be willing to learn this skill set as you grow with us.
- Enjoys both teaching and learning — We believe that data science is an incredible field to be in today. There’s a huge amount of new material to learn, we all want to learn it, and we’re looking for someone who wants to contribute to everyone’s growth.
- Strong sense of initiative — You’re always looking for ways to be useful and you hate having nothing to do.
- Social intelligence — It’s extremely important that you work well with others and thrive in an environment with lots of teamwork and interpersonal interaction.
Additionally, we are requiring candidates to have an internet connection speed of at least 12mbps and a viable work from home setup, as we are now operating as a fully remote company.
Ideal candidates have some of the following skills
- Scientific Python libraries — Data analysis with pandas, matplotlib, NumPy, scikit-learn, etc.
- Machine learning — Taken classes in classic machine learning regression and classification techniques
- Code on the Cloud — Deploying code on Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Standard business analytics — Time series forecasting, A/B testing, tests of statistical significance, cohort analysis, etc
Benefits and Perks
We offer the following compensation and benefits:
- Competitive salary — the compensation amount is positively correlated with the difficulty of the job
- Fully remote — due to the global pandemic, we have shifted to a fully remote company for the foreseeable future while we monitor the situation.
- Individual professional development budget — an annual budget for conferences, training courses, books and software is available to sharpen your skills and build new ones to help you grow in your role
- Full health benefits — generous health insurance package effective on your first day
- Regular 1:1 meetings with the leadership team to discuss career and personal goals, job progress and any questions and concerns
How to Apply
If you fit this profile and we sound like the kind of people you want to work with, fill up the form below with your information and resume. After submitting the form, expect an email from us within the next 15 minutes, detailing the next steps of your application. If you don’t receive one, please contact [email protected].
Here are the steps of the application process:
- Submission and evaluation of your resume, first contact responses, and work samples. If you don’t have any work samples to share, don’t worry! Accomplish at least one of these and show us what you can do:
- Create a new webapp on glitch.com (send us a link to your project)
- Build a model on kaggle.com (send us a link to your notebook)
- Solve a bunch of problems on projecteuler.net (drop us a folder of your codes and your thinking)
- Take home exam and exploratory data analysis (3 days)
- Onsite technical presentation and behavioral interview (2-3 hours)
- Final decision