Data Visualization Developer
Working at Thinking Machines
Thinking Machines is a data science startup. Our vision is for the Philippines to become a global hub for data science. To do that, we create data science cultures, one organization at a time.
We’re a company made up of intellectually curious, civic-minded, forever-learning individuals. We believe that great data science products are built with care for people, and that the best way to drive inclusive innovation is to start with a diverse team.
Our field of work is incredibly dynamic, so we want to work with people who are committed to growing with us. We want to hire people who can demonstrate an ability to learn, then provide them with personalized coaching, growth opportunities, and a great working environment to get them to world-class.
We’re looking for data visualization developers to build interactive dashboards that our client organizations will use to make smarter decisions. Some of our past dashboard design clients include:
- Teach for All, a global network of education-focused nonprofits seeking to better quantiy its collective impact
- Save the Children Philippines, a child rights organization that wanted to use data to more effectively design and target its programs
- Chief executives of one of the Philippines’ top conglomerates seeking to better understand economic trends
- A US-based yoga and fitness company growing its business
You can also check out our blog for data stories and viz that we’ve made for fun.
If you’re a quantitative and critical thinker, a dogged problem solver, a self-motivated learner, and the type of person who can get excited about using design and data to promote evidence-based decision-making, then you are encouraged to apply.
What Does a Data Visualization Developer do?
- 50% - Clean, wrangle, explore, reshape, model, analyze, and visualize data using tools like SQL, Excel, Google Sheets, and Python
- 25% - Work with clients to understand how they can use data to achieve their business goals
- 25% - Design and build interactive dashboards using tools like Microsoft PowerBI and Tableau
Necessary Skills and Qualities
We need people who are strong in at least two of the following areas, and willing to learn the rest.
- Data Skills
- Quantitative Thinking and Burning Curiosity - Excellent math skills are a must. You need to be excited about making sense of messy datasets.
- Systems Analysis and Design - You need a strong intuition for how data should be structured and get fulfillment from making systems operate more efficiently.
- UX and Visual Design
- User-Focused Thinking - You need to understand the difference between something that looks cool and something that’s actually useful to people.
- Design-Thinking - You need to be able to take input from different perspectives and iterate, iterate, iterate until you arrive at the best solution.
- Communication Skills
- Client Management - You will be facing with a lot of clients. You must be able to present and defend design ideas while managing their expectations.
- Written / Verbal Communication Skills - You need to be able to clearly explain complex concepts to both clients and colleagues, both verbally and in written form.
- Familiarity with data analysis and visualization tools. While it’s a big plus if you have experience with using any of the following tools, we’re willing to hire people who can demonstrate the capacity to learn these very quickly:
- Google Sheets
- MS Excel
Preferred Personality Traits
- Capable of self-directed learning
- Enjoys the process of discovery
- Problem solving mentality
- Social intelligence and teamwork
- Proactive and cares about efficiency
Benefits and Perks
We offer the following compensation and benefits:
- Competitive salary — The compensation is positively correlated with the difficulty of the job.
- Flex-time policy — regular work from home and remote working days are options after probation period. Most members of our team maintain regular office hours of 10am – 4pm, and spend the rest of their workday at home.
- Individual professional development budget— an annual budget for conferences, training courses, books and software is available to sharpen your skills and build new ones to help you grow in your role
- Full health benefits—generous health insurance package
How to Apply
If you fit this profile and we sound like the kind of people you want to work with, fill up the form below with your information and resume. After submitting the form, please expect an email from us within the next 15 minutes, detailing the next steps for your application. If you do not receive an email from us, please contact [email protected]