Working at Thinking Machines
Thinking Machines is a data science startup. Our vision is for the Philippines to become a global hub for data science. To do that, we create data science cultures, one organization at a time.
We’re a company made up of intellectually curious, civic-minded, forever-learning individuals. We believe that great data science products are built with care for people, and that the best way to drive inclusive innovation is to start with a diverse team.
Our field of work is incredibly dynamic, so we want to work with people who are committed to growing with us. We want to hire people who can demonstrate an ability to learn, then provide them with personalized coaching, growth opportunities, and a great working environment to get them to world-class.
We're looking for a UX/UI designer with at least 3-4 years of work experience to manage the brand identity of Thinking Machines, and translate it across all aspects of the company. This includes our website and social media content, the slide decks we show our clients, our internal assets, and the tools and products we develop. We are looking for creatives that can create designs that are both stunning and functional; beautiful and usable.
The following is an incomplete but representative list of things you can expect to be doing:
- Develop, maintain, and protect Thinking Machines' design and branding principles.
- Be the design lead for all our marketing materials including the website, slide decks, print materials, and social media assets.
- Lead our website content deployment. We build a lot of custom code for our data stories, including embedded maps, interactive contents, and any other whacky thing we think of! You'll need to be able to support the user experience for our website users across web and mobile browsers.
- End-to-end project lead our internal design projects from gathering and evaluating user requirements, creating concept boards, designing wireframes, and building prototypes.
You'll also be expected to help out on any tasks that may come up in any department. Since the startup space can get crazy, we are looking for someone who is up for any kind of challenge and has the initiative to seek out ways to be useful. We move fast, and we expect you to keep up!
If you're a creative critical thinker, a dogged problem solver, a self-motivated learner, and the type of person who can get excited about using design and data to promote evidence-based decision-making, then you are encouraged to apply.
Necessary Skills and Qualities
We need people who are strong in at least three of the following areas, and willing to learn the rest.
- UX Design. Design thinking leader - Are you a user-focused problem-solver? Do you take input from different perspectives, and iterate until you arrive at the best solution? Can you lead a design team and plan appropriate UX processes for projects?
- Visual Design. Minimalist and clean aesthetic - Can you design collaterals compatible with the brand? Beyond that, can you push the brand direction to the next level?
- We're a small team that relies on each other for ideas and double-checking. Be vocal about your opinions!
- You will be facing with a lot of clients - internal and external. You must be able to present and defend design ideas while managing their expectations.
- Strong writing skills - Complex data insights are nothing if its audience doesn't understand it. We're counting on you to help us turn data into interesting and informative pieces.
Preferred Personality Traits
- intellectually curious
- strives for excellence
- Competitive salary — The compensation is positively correlated with the difficulty of the job.
- Flex-time policy — Regular work from home and remote working days are options after probation period. Most members of our team maintain regular office hours of 10am – 4pm, and spend the rest of their workday at home.
- Individual professional development budget — An annual budget for conferences, training courses, books, and software is available to sharpen your skills and build new ones to help you grow in your role.
- Full health benefits — A generous health insurance package.
How to Apply
If you fit this profile and we sound like the kind of people you want to work with, fill up the form below with your information and resume. After submitting the form, please expect an email from us within the next 15 minutes, detailing the next steps for your application. If you do not receive an email from us, please contact