Business Intelligence Analyst
Working at Thinking Machines
Thinking Machines is a data science startup. Our vision is for the Philippines to become a global hub for data science. To do that, we create data science cultures, one organization at a time.
We’re a company made up of intellectually curious, civic-minded, forever-learning individuals. We believe that great data science products are built with care for people, and that the best way to drive inclusive innovation is to start with a diverse team.
Our field of work is incredibly dynamic, so we want to work with people who are committed to growing with us. We want to hire people who can demonstrate an ability to learn, then provide them with personalized coaching, growth opportunities, and a great working environment to get them to world-class.
We’re looking for business intelligence analysts to build interactive dashboards that our client organizations will use to make smarter decisions. Some of our past dashboard design clients include:
- A food and beverage chain with over 130 nationwide stores expanding its store coverage.
- One of the largest full-service restaurant chains in the Philippines looking to make data-driven decisions in their marketing efforts.
- The leading pharmaceutical company in the Philippines consolidating its agents’ performance metrics into a unified dashboard and geospatial solution.
- The Philippines’ Department of Health, enabling the public officials and the general public to make informed decisions amidst the pandemic through the PH’s COVID Tracker.
- The United Nations Development Programme, visualizing sustainable development goals and poverty indicators for all cities across the Philippines.
- Teach for All, a global network of education-focused nonprofits seeking to better quantify its collective impact.
- Save the Children Philippines, a child rights organization that wanted to use data to more effectively design and target its programs.
- Chief executives of one of the Philippines’ top conglomerates seeking to better understand economic trends.
- A US based yoga and fitness company growing its business.
You can also check out our blog for data stories and viz that we’ve made for fun.
If you’re a quantitative and critical thinker, a dogged problem solver, a self-motivated learner, and the type of person who can get excited about using design and data to promote evidence-based decision-making, then you are encouraged to apply.
Additionally, we are requiring candidates to have an internet connection speed of at least 12mbps and a viable work from home setup, as we are now operating as a fully remote company.
What does a Business Intelligence Analyst do?
- 50% - Clean, wrangle, explore, reshape, model, analyze, and visualize data using tools like SQL, Excel, Google Sheets, and Python
- 25% - Work with clients to understand how they can use data to achieve their business goals
- 25% - Design and build interactive dashboards using tools like Microsoft PowerBI and Tableau
Necessary Skills and Qualities
We need people who are strong in at least two of the following areas, and willing to learn the rest.
- Data Wrangling and Analysis Skills
- Quantitative Thinking and Burning Curiosity - Excellent math skills are a must. You need to be excited about making sense of messy datasets.
- Systems Analysis and Design - You need a strong intuition for how data should be structured and get fulfillment from making systems operate more efficiently.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following data wrangling and analysis tools:
- Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets
- Python for Data Analysis
- UX and Visual Design
- User-Focused Thinking - You need to understand the difference between something that looks cool and something that’s actually useful to people.
- Design-Thinking - You need to be able to take input from different perspectives and iterate, iterate, iterate until you arrive at the best solution.
- Communication Skills
- Client Management - You will be facing a lot of clients. You must be able to dive into their domain and understand the metrics they need to make decisions. You must be able to present and defend design ideas while managing their expectations.
- Written / Verbal Communication Skills - You need to be able to clearly explain complex concepts to both clients and colleagues, both verbally and in written form.
- Visualization and Dashboarding Skills. We are looking for candidates that have 2+ years experience designing and building strategic and operational dashboards using live data sources. Specifically, we are looking for candidates that are skilled at the following dashboarding tools:
- PowerBI, and/or
- Google Data Studio
- Note: Huge bonus points if you are PowerBI or Tableau certified!
Preferred Personality Traits
- Capable of self-directed learning
- Enjoys the process of discovery
- Capable, problem solving mentality
- Social intelligence and teamwork
- Proactive and cares about efficiency
We offer the following compensation and benefits:
- Competitive salary — the compensation is positively correlated with the difficulty of the job.
- Fully remote — due to the global pandemic, we have shifted to a fully remote company for the foreseeable future while we monitor the situation.
- Individual professional development budget — an annual budget for conferences, training courses, books and software is available to sharpen your skills and build new ones to help you grow in your role
- Full health benefits — generous health insurance package
How to Apply
If you fit this profile and we sound like the kind of people you want to work with, fill up the form below with your information and resume. After submitting the form, please expect an email from us within the next 15 minutes, detailing the next steps for your application. If you do not receive an email from us, please contact , please contact [email protected]